It’s far from the end of the story
The Airport Commission’s report recommended a new runway is built at Heathrow but only if tough conditions are met.
However, it also left open the door for a 2nd runway at Gatwick. The Government will announce its decision towards the end of the year.
Help us write the final chapter by joining our cause and helping the campaign against a third runway here.
John Stewart, HACAN chair, said:
“This is far from the end of the story. The final decision will be taken by the Government. Given the strength of opposition there is to Heathrow within the Cabinet, the final chapter could contain a sting in the tail.
“Gatwick could emerge as the final choice by Christmas.”
There is significant opposition to Heathrow within the Cabinet.
Ministers opposed to a 3rd runway include:
– Philip Hammond, foreign secretary
– Theresa May, home secretary
– Theresa Villiers, Northern Ireland secretary
– Justine Greening, international development secretary
– Greg Hands, financial secretary to the treasury
Boris Johnson is a fierce opponent as is Zac Goldsmith, probably next Conservative candidate for Mayor of London.
Watch one Sipson resident’s plea for politicians to come to the villages to see where their decision will have most impact:
The obstacles to a 3rd runway remain enormous:
– Noise disturbing more people than any other airport in Europe
– Air Pollution levels hovering above the EU legal limits
– Thousands of people facing eviction from their homes
– Millions of pounds of public money required to upgrade the roads network
– And the prospect of the biggest environmental battle in Europe
Residents will not be quiet
As Hacan’s new YouTube series proves, residents across London and beyond are affected by Heathrow noise and the threat of expansion.
View the new video series in the player below, or click ‘Playlist‘ to browse the collection
HACAN campaigns to stop further expansion of Heathrow and to cut the noise people hear from the existing airport. Find out more here.