Skip to content
- June 27, 2019
The Government published its Green Paper with proposals for its new aviation strategy at the end of last year which it will finalise and release in the second half of 2019. The consultation ended on 20th June 2019.
Read HACAN’s response: HACAN
Read the response of HACAN East: Aviation
Green Paper HACAN East response
For more details of the consultation, plus HACAN’s ... READ MORE
- May 2, 2019
2nd May 2019
The Committee on Climate Change (CCC), the Government’s official advisers, published its latest report today. It is recommending that the UK becomes ‘net-zero’ on CO 2 emissions by 2050. This does not there will be no CO2 emissions but those which are emitted will need to be balanced by taking carbon out of the air or burying it: ” The ... READ MORE
- April 30, 2019
HACAN released a report challenging the aviation industry to take action to improve the noise climate for local communities. Noise Relief outlines practical measures which could be taken to achieve this.
John Stewart, chair of HACAN and co-author of the report, said, “Heathrow is drawing up plans for the biggest shake up of its flight paths since the airport opened in 1946. HACAN welcomes ... READ MORE
- April 8, 2019
A new publication from HACAN arguing that the Green Paper is the ideal
opportunity for the Government to re-examine the whole question of night
flights at airports across the country: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Night-Flights-Revisited.pdf
- March 23, 2019
We have had a lot of questions about a Land Referencing letter some of you will have received from Heathrow. It is a legal requirement for any promoter of a major development to send these out. They go to households who may – and we stress may – be impacted by the construction of a third runway. Most people who receive a letter will ... READ MORE
- March 23, 2019
The Government published its Green Paper with proposals for its new aviation strategy at the end of last year which it will finalise and release in the second half of 2019. The consultation will end on 20th June 2019 It is an important document. It sets out proposals for UK aviation policy until 2050.
The consultation was originally due to ... READ MORE
- March 23, 2019
Each airport with over 50,000 movements is required by the European Union to publish a Noise Action Plan every 5 years. Heathrow has just published it latest one covering the years 2019 – 2023. It only focuses on a two-runway Heathrow since, if a third runway gets permission, it will not be up and running until about 2025/6. ... READ MORE
- March 23, 2019
The legal challenge to the Government’s decision to approve the 3rd Runway in principle finished in the High Court on 22nd March, with a decision expected within a couple of months. There were five challenges: one from some local authorities plus the Mayor of London and Greenpeace; one each from Friends of the Earth and Plan B; one from Heathrow ... READ MORE
- March 19, 2019
ICCAN, an independent body to ensure fair play between Government, communities and local authorities, has been set up. HACAN has already had two meetings with ICCAN. We welcome the setting up of an independent body, having long pushed for it. Indeed, we produced a joint report with Heathrow calling for such a body. You can read the report here: ... READ MORE
- October 23, 2018
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has approved Heathrow’s first round of consultation on its new flights paths (it consulted on the design principles for them). It leaves Heathrow free to consult on the second stage in January 2019. This will be on design envelopes (the broad areas where the flight paths will be). The consultation on the detailed flight paths ... READ MORE
- October 10, 2018 The new noise guidelines from the World Health Organisation, published 10th October 2018, are tougher on aircraft noise than previously. The guidelines indicate that aircraft noise can affect the health of people living well over 20 miles from Heathrow. They are of course just guidelines, not intended to be implemented overnight. Their main purpose is to indicate the levels at ... READ MORE
- October 10, 2018
Sevenoaks has an aircraft noise problem? It is 31 miles from Heathrow; 18 miles from Gatwick. Only the smaller Biggin Hill Airport is relatively close to the Kent town, 8 miles away. When HACAN received these comments we decided to investigate the situation: “Couldn’t possibly happen in Sevenoaks could it? Oh, it already is!” “Just another lovely day under all ... READ MORE
- September 19, 2018
Heathrow published the results of the first round of its consultation into new flight paths on 19th September. It has ruled out all-day concentrated flying. At HACAN we welcome this and take some credit for it as we have been campaigning for this for over a decade. The consultation, held earlier this year, asked people about what ... READ MORE
- August 21, 2018
A new poll from Populus, commissioned by Heathrow and released by them on 21st September, reveals mixed views on the third runway. 50% of people in the 15 local authority areas closest to the airport backed a new runway, with 32% opposed. The results are not dissimilar to the ones the polling company, Populus, has carried out ... READ MORE
- August 13, 2018
HACAN today is pleased to publish an important report by Forest Hill resident Tim Walker outlining what happens when London City and Heathrow flights combine to create community noise hotspots in south east London
Using London SE23 as an example, the paper aims to make clear to policymakers, campaigners and the two airports what the problems for communities are with the ... READ MORE
- June 25, 2018
The Government got a majority of 296 after the debate in Parliament last night (25th June) on a third runway. It now officially becomes Government policy.In total 415 MPs backed it; 119 opposed. 119 Labour MPs backed it; 94 opposed (Labour MPs were given a free vote). The Conservatives imposed a 3 line whip: 8 MPs defied the whip and ... READ MORE
- June 5, 2018
The Cabinet backed a 3rd runway at Heathrow on 5th June 2018. Parliament will now vote on the Airports National Policy Statement (NPS) – see link in full post plus link to Government response to Transport Select Committee Report on the NPS – which contains the plans for a third runway, within 21 days. If it supports the new runway, ... READ MORE
- April 3, 2018
Today HACAN launched a major new study which reveals the extent of the aircraft noise problem in South East London. Corridors of Concentration, published in conjunction with Plane Hell Action, revealed a dramatic increase in flight numbers over parts of South East London in recent years. It also found that flight paths have become more concentrated.
Over a dozen areas from ... READ MORE
- April 3, 2018 A new study (1) reveals a dramatic increase in the number of flights over many areas of South East London in recent years. Corridors of Concentration, published today by HACAN and Plane Hell Action, also found that flight paths have become more concentrated. The study was carried out to highlight the current impact of aircraft noise on south east London ... READ MORE
- April 1, 2018
Rachel Cerfontyne has been appointed as the first chair of the new Community Engagement Board. She spent her early years in Feltham, started life as a social worker and has over twenty years’ experience in leading public sector and charitable organizations. Her most recent role was as Deputy Chair of the Independent Police Complaints Commission, where she oversaw their two largest ... READ MORE
- March 23, 2018
The Transport Select Committee Report into the National Policy Statement (NPS) on Airports (essentially, the 3rd runway at Heathrow) has been published today (23rd March). The report backs a third runway at Heathrow but has come up with some challenging conditions including tougher air pollution targets and a 7 hour night flight ban. The Government will respond to the Committee ... READ MORE
- February 16, 2018
Heathrow published its long-awaited respite report commissioned from Anderson Acoustics on 16th February. It is the first of its kind to be done. HACAN was part of the steering group. And later work carried out by Heathrow showed 54% people backed respite even it it increased the number of people overflown. Only 22% would back concentrating all the flight paths ... READ MORE
- January 20, 2018 The Government abolished the Cranford Agreement in 2009. But it will not come into effect until a final decision is taken on a third runway. This was the 50 year old understanding that planes did not take off from the northern runway over Cranford, at the Hounslow end of the runway. It meant that, when an east wind blows, all ... READ MORE
- December 2, 2017
SONA, a study the Government commissioned from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Survey of Noise Attitudes 2014, SONA found that people start to get annoyed by aircraft noise at lower levels than previously officially recognised. This is reflected now in Government policy which acknowledges that people can get annoyed by aircraft noise when it averages out over a 16 hour ... READ MORE
- November 30, 2017 On November 30th Heathrow published is review of 2016. It comes in the form of two reports – links in the full post below. The post includes key points from the reports as well as HACAN’s reaction and response to them, including a welcome of new, more meaning noise annoyance metrics but HACAN questions whether the increase in the number ... READ MORE
- October 24, 2017
There is much to be welcomed in this new policy. It contains some measures – such as the establishment of an independent noise authority and improved noise metrics – that HACAN has been campaigning for for many, many years. We also welcome the fact that noise rather than CO2 emissions should be given priority at heights of between ... READ MORE
- July 13, 2017
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling announced on 13th July that the night flight regime at Heathrow would remain substantially unchanged for the next five years. That will take us up to 2022 by which time is should be clear whether or not a third runway has been given the go-ahead. If given permission for a new runway, Heathrow hope ... READ MORE
- May 15, 2017
HACAN has commissioned an independent report which suggested that – in the event of a third runway being built – an eight hour night flight regime could become the norm. This study, carried out by AvGen Limited on behalf of HACAN, examines the practicality, if and when a third runway is built at Heathrow, of implementing a full or partial ... READ MORE
- February 25, 2017 The influential Environmental Audit Committee in a report (1) issued today has said that the Government is still not doing enough to mitigate the environmental impacts of the planned new runway at Heathrow.
Mary Creagh MP, Chair of the Environmental Audit Committee, said: “If the Government wants to get Heathrow expansion off the ground it needs to show that a third ... READ MORE
- February 2, 2017 Campaign group HACAN has urged ministers to be bold enough to reject a third runway if the National Policy Statement consultation, issued today, reveals real problems with the proposal. As expected, transport secretary Chris Grayling when launching the consultation highlighted the importance of a new runway to the post-Brexit economy but HACAN, which gives a voice to residents under the ... READ MORE
- January 12, 2017 The Government is proposing no change to the number of night flights at Heathrow. The consultation document, released today by the Department for Transport, argues that the current regime should continue for the next five years. It will then be clearer whether a third runway will be underway. Permission to build a third runway is expected to be conditional on ... READ MORE
- January 3, 2017
Research carried out by the campaign group HACAN has revealed that Hounslow to be the most overflown borough in London. Richmond is in second place but the surprise is that that only three of the top 12 most boroughs are in West London with Waltham Forest being the third most overflown (1).
HACAN calculated the combined impact of Heathrow and London ... READ MORE
- December 15, 2016 HACAN has joined with Heathrow Airport to call for an Independent Noise Authority to be set up. The unkilely allies have produced a joint report with suggestions of how an Authority could work in advance of a Department of Transport consultation on the subject, expected in January. The two groups have also sent a joint letter to the Transport Secretary.
Read ... READ MORE
- December 12, 2016 Heathrow Airport has made a useful start in tackling noise problems over the last few years but, of course, more needs to be done. This short report from HACAN outlines the progress: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Heathrow-noise.pdf
- December 8, 2016 Heathrow is the top mega-hub airport in Europe and 15th in the world. Nine of the top ten are in America: http://www.oag.com/hubfs/Free_Reports/Megahubs/2016/OAG-Megahubs-Index-2016.pdf
- August 29, 2016 We don’t normally post HACAN East press releases on this site but we thought this would be of interest as the new concentrated London City flight paths impact so many people who are also under the Heathrow flight paths
29/8/16 for immediate use
Concentrated flight paths bring a flood of complains
London City Airport’s decision to concentrate all its flights paths earlier ... READ MORE
- August 18, 2016
Heathrow was the clear winner of the Noise Olympics staged this morning by campaign group HACAN in Ravenscourt Park in Hammersmith (1). The airport received its medal, in the form of golden ear-defenders, from the local MP Andy Slaughter. The silver went to Frankfurt and the bronze to Charles De Gaulle. Gatwick trailed badly to finish in last position.
Heathrow won ... READ MORE
- August 9, 2016 Press Release
8/8/16 for immediate use
Majority in Prime Minister’s backyard oppose 3rd runway at Heathrow
Campaigners claim that Theresa May would run into trouble locally if she backed a third runway at Heathrow. Lobby group HACAN, which is against Heathrow expansion, has unearthed a poll which shows that less than a third of residents in Windsor and Maidenhead borough, which includes the ... READ MORE
- August 5, 2016
Campaign group HACAN has claimed that a green light for a third runway would erode the benefits that the abolition of the Cranford Agreement would bring to Prime Minister’s Maidenhead constituency. The Government is expected to announce its intention to get rid of it very shortly. If it went, the number of planes landing over much of the Windsor and ... READ MORE
- July 31, 2016
A readable pamphlet from the UK Noise Association which argues that there are solutions to most noise problems, given the political will: Noise Solutions – it’s a question of political will (pdf)
- July 23, 2016
Trials took place in 2014 to test new operational and technical procedures. The trials resulted in a lot of planes flying over certain areas and in a concentrated way. Following complaints from some people in the communities affected that the flight paths had not gone back to their pre-trial patterns, Heathrow paid for work to test this out. The ... READ MORE
- July 16, 2016 Press Release
15/7/16 for immediate use
Archive material reveals the extent of new Prime Minister’s opposition to a 3rd Runway at Heathrow
Campaign group HACAN has unearthed archive material which reveals that the new Prime Minister Theresa May has been a fierce opponent of a third runway at Heathrow. The information comes from material posted on the Prime Minister’s old website (1).
In response ... READ MORE
- May 11, 2016 Heathrow Airport signalled its determination to get a third runway by accepting most of the conditions set out in the Airports Commission’s report last year.
It has agreed to a legally-binding agreement ruling out a fourth runway. It is proposing to extend the length of time planes are banned during the night by one and a half hours. And it has ... READ MORE
- April 25, 2016 Shock £17bn taxpayer’s bill for Heathrow expansion revealed
Embargoed until 25th April
Shock £17bn taxpayer’s bill for Heathrow expansion revealed
(Hits the front page of the Financial Times 24316 billion black hole)
And the FT followed up the story the next day with more detailed figures: Follow up FT article
UK taxpayers could be asked to fork out a staggering £17 billion to cover the costs ... READ MORE
- April 23, 2016 Advertising Standards Authority bans Back Heathrow Advert over its claim most local people back Heathrow expansion
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned an advert from Back Heathrow claiming that most local people back expansion at the airport.
The lobby group, which was set up to push for a third runway and which receives funding from Heathrow Airport, was criticised for ... READ MORE
- March 15, 2016 Four local authorities – Richmond, Wandsworth, Hillingdon and the Windsor and Maidenhead – are threatening to take the Government to court unless it drops plans for a 3rd runway at Heathrow.
In a letter to the Government its solicitors cite failings in the Airport Commission’s report over noise and air pollution as reasons for a legal challenge. They also say that, ... READ MORE
- February 2, 2016 Press Release
Monday 1st February for immediate use
Campaigners plaster Osborne’s constituency with no 3rd runway signs
Campaigners against Heathrow expansion today plastered George Osborne’s constituency with No Third Runway signs. They put up the signs in the main street of Knutsford in the heart of the constituency, including one outside Conservative Party headquarters in the town. The campaigners wanted to get across ... READ MORE
- January 12, 2016
A major new report published today has found that the health of over one million people in the UK is at risk from aircraft noise. The report, Aircraft Noise and Public Health: The Evidence is Loud and Clear, commissioned by campaign group HACAN and produced by the Aviation Environment Federation, has called on the Government to undertake a complete review ... READ MORE
- January 9, 2016 On January 5th, the day Parliament returns, campaigners against a third runway at Heathrow ‘planted’ 2000 black paper planes in Victoria Gardens in Westminster at 10am to highlight the fact that 2016 will be a grim year for residents if a new runway is given the go-ahead. The campaigners expect around 2000 flights at day will use the airport if ... READ MORE
- December 19, 2015 Press Release
18/12/15 for immediate use
Anti-3rd Runway Campaigners post pre-Xmas thank-you letters to PM
Over the past week hundreds of people campaigning against Heathrow expansion wrote pre-Christmas letters to David Cameron thanking him for keeping his promise not to build a third runway and urging him not to break it next year when a decision on runway capacity is expected to be ... READ MORE
- December 11, 2015 At 7pm on Friday 11th December the Government announced that it is delaying any final decision on new runways until at least the middle of next year. It wants to do further work in assessing particularly the environmental impacts of a 3rd runway at Heathrow, the Heathrow Hub proposal for an extended runway and a 2nd runway at Gatwick.
The full ... READ MORE
- December 6, 2015 The economic benefits of a third runway are unlikely to be as high as the headline figures claim. Read on: HACAN Briefing, September 2015 (pdf)
- December 1, 2015 Press Release
1/12/15 for immediate use
Influential committee of MPs ‘put Government in a straightjacket’ over Heathrow Third Runway
A leading committee of MPs has ‘put the Government in a straightjacket’ over a third runway at Heathrow. The influential Environmental Audit Committee released a report today (1) which said that a third runway should not go ahead at Heathrow until strict environmental conditions ... READ MORE
- November 22, 2015 Press Release
21/10/15 for immediate use
No Third Runway Flash Mob Staged at Heathrow Terminal Two
Over 50 campaigners from across London and the Home Counties staged at Heathrow Terminal Two today in protest against a third runway.
At 11am on the dot the campaigners, standing in front of the giant sculpture in the new terminal, revealed red t-shirts emblazoned with the words ‘No ... READ MORE
- November 9, 2015 A new survey just released has found that 41% of buyers would withdraw an offer on a property or lose interest in it once they realised it was impacted by aircraft noise. Another 34% would make a lower offer.
Top of the list is noisy neighbours. 70% would withdraw an offer on a property or lose interest in it once they realised ... READ MORE
- November 5, 2015 Press Release
5/11/15 for immediate use
“Clear Commitment” by Heathrow Airport to “significantly” reduce night flights if 3rd runway goes ahead
Heathrow Chief Executive John Holland-Kaye made a commitment to significantly reduce night flights if permission was given for a third runway.
Cross-examined yesterday by the House of Commons Environmental Audit Select Committee (1), Mr Holland-Kaye gave the clearest signal yet that a new ... READ MORE
- October 29, 2015 Press Release
29/10/15 for immediate use
Londoners rate new airport capacity as he least important measure required to ensure London remains competitive with other global cities, according to a survey released today by the London Chamber of Commerce (1). The survey, undertaken by ComRes for London Tomorrow, a group set up in part by the London Chamber of Commerce & Industry, found ... READ MORE
- October 22, 2015 HACAN joined other campaign groups on Monday 19th October to meet with senior officials at the Department for Transport to discuss flight path issues.
It was a constructive meeting covering a range of topics including concentration of flight paths and respite. The groups will be meeting Aviation Minister Robert Goodwill in a few weeks to discuss the issues.
- October 22, 2015 Following complaints from local residents, Heathrow Airport, in collaboration with the residents who sit on the Community Noise Forum commissioned independent research to assess if anything had changed in a number of areas including the Teddington/Twickenham area.
The research found that the trials which had taken place recently but which have now stopped are not the cause of the complaints ... READ MORE
- October 22, 2015 Press Release
19/10/15 for immediate use
Heathrow campaigners park plane outside Downing St to mark 6th anniversary of Prime Ministers ‘No ifs, no buts, no 3rd runway’ speech
To mark the 6th anniversary of David Cameron’s speech where he promised ‘No ifs; no buts; there will be no third runway’ Heathrow campaigners parked a plane outside Downing Street this morning .
On 19th October ... READ MORE
- October 16, 2015 Fewer Scottish airports could have direct flights to Heathrow if a third runway goes ahead. Read the details in the HACAN briefing sent to all SNP MPs: SNP Briefing, Conference 15
- October 9, 2015 Local residents teamed up with the direct action network Plane Stupid to stage colourful protest actions at the Conservative Party Conference:
A plane was parked outside the conference:
Loud aircraft noise was played at 4.30am outside the hotel where most of the government ministers were staying to coincide with the first night flight arriving at Heathrow:
- October 7, 2015 Press Release
7/10/15 for immediate use
Five Mayoral candidates to address ‘biggest ever’ rally against Heathrow Third Runway
10th October. Parliament Square. 10.30am. Speakers start 11am. Finish by 12.30pm
All the candidates to succeed Boris Johnson as Mayor of London from the main political parties will speak at a mass rally against a third runway at Heathrow to be held on 10th October in ... READ MORE
- October 3, 2015 What unites all 5 candidates for London Mayor?
They are all opposed to a third runway at Heathrow.
Conservatives – Zac Goldsmith; Labour – Sadiq Khan; Liberal Democrat – Caroline Pidgeon; Green – Sian Berry; UKIP – Peter Whittle
- September 16, 2015 Press Release
15/9/15 embargoed until Wed, Sep 16, 00:01
Heathrow Airport rapped over expansion ad by Advertising Standards AuthorityHeathrow Airport has been rapped over the knuckles by the Advertising Standards Authority over a prominent advert it used to promote expansion of the airport (1). Eight complainants challenged that the ad saying it was misleading , with its claim that ‘50% of ... READ MORE
- September 9, 2015 Press Release
9/9/15 for immediate use
Heathrow Poll Shows Support for 3rd Runway Static
Heathrow Airport today published a poll which shows that support for a third runway remains static (1). Around 50% support expansion, with 34% opposed to it. This is very similar to the findings of a poll they released at the beginning of the year (2). A third of ... READ MORE
- September 3, 2015 Teddington Action Group has dug out the fact that 24 new schools and thousands of children will be exposed to noise levels above the World Health Organisation standards if a3rd runway goes ahead. They have written to all head teachers in London.
Read their press release here: http://bit.ly/1EDn3bC
- September 2, 2015 Press Release
2/9/15 for immediate use
HACAN backs cross-party campaign against 3rd Runway
HACAN, which provides a voice for residents under the Heathrow flight paths, has given its backing to a cross-party campaign launched today to stop a third runway at Heathrow.
The Coalition Against Heathrow Expansion includes the Mayor of London, Conservative MPs Zac Goldsmith, Adam Afriyie and Tania Mathias, Labour MPs John ... READ MORE
- August 24, 2015 The Airports Commission recommended a third runway at Heathrow largely on the basis of the economic benefits it would bring to the country. However, over the last few weeks evidence has emerged that the economic case for a third runway is much less convincing than it may have appeared.
What strengthens the argument is that much of this evidence, whilst unearthed ... READ MORE
- August 20, 2015 A large number of people turned out to support the Plane Stupid activists, who occupied the Heathrow runway last month, when they appeared in Uxbridge Magistrates Court on on 19th August. Photos here: http://www.demotix.com/news/8344293/heathrow-climate-activists-protest-outside-plane-stupid-court-hearing … They pleaded not guilty and were bailed on condition they don’t enter airport. There will be 2 week trial starting Jan18th.
- August 20, 2015 A heartfelt plea about aircraft noise emailed to HACAN this morning (20th August) from…Walthamstow…over 25 miles from Heathrow:
- August 9, 2015 HACAN gets more emails from areas in South London east of Clapham Junction in a typical week than any other single area.
This surprises people when I mention it to them. They expect most of the complaints to come from areas closer to the airport.
I suspect there are four reasons for this:
In West London there is now more of an acceptance ... READ MORE
- August 3, 2015 HACAN outlines where the Labour candidates for Party Leader stand on a third runway at Heathrow and, below that, were the London Mayoral hopefuls stand.
Labour leadership candidates
Jeremy Corbyn. AGAINST.
Mr Corbyn told The Independent: “A third runway at Heathrow would mean 4,000 homes demolished and 10,000 people displaced.
It would cause massive increases in noise and air pollution and inflict misery on hundreds ... READ MORE
- July 28, 2015 Press Release
28/7/15 for immediate use
Only 13.2% of Britons Back a Third Runway at Heathrow
A Mori poll released yesterday shows that only 13% of people in the UK back a third runway at Heathrow. Most people, 60%, want to see more airport capacity in the country but few of them want it at Heathrow. A third of people are against any ... READ MORE
- July 23, 2015 Press Release
23/7/15 for immediate use
Research reveals Cabinet sub-committee on Heathrow contains leading supporters of expansion
Research by campaign group HACAN has revealed that key members of the Cabinet sub-committee appointed by David Cameron to assess the Airport Commission’s recommendation that a third runway should be built at Heathrow have been outspoken supporters of a new runway. The revelation comes the day ... READ MORE
- July 20, 2015 Press Release
Monday 20th July for immediate use
The Case Against Heathrow Expansion
On 20th July, the day before Parliament broke for its summer recess, campaigners from national organizations and local groups opposed to expansion packed David Cameron’s suitcase with material they believe he should read and view on his holiday before he makes up his mind on a third runway. They were ... READ MORE
- July 18, 2015 Despite the efforts of Heathrow to be more straightforward and transparent in recent years, there is still as huge legacy of distrust. The almost universal reaction by people – at least those communicating with HACAN – to the list of conditions imposed by the Airports Commission accompanying its recommendation of a third runway has been that Heathrow cannot be trusted ... READ MORE
- July 3, 2015 The day after the Airports Commission recommended a third runway at Heathrow residents blocked the road tunnel to Heathrow in protest. Check out the video: https://youtu.be/19R0UG2pFWc
And this spectacular picture:
- July 2, 2015 This is a very brief summary of the main points in the Airports Commission report published yesterday (1st July) The full report is on the Commission’s website. The Commision of course has only made a recommendation. The Government will make the final decision by the end of the year.
The Airports Commission has recommended that a 3rd runway is built at ... READ MORE
- June 21, 2015 Press Release
21st June 2015 for immediate use
HACAN backs Frequent Flyers Levy to replace Air Passenger Duty as “both green and equitable”
Campaign group HACAN has given its backing to the plan for a Frequent Flyers Levy to replace Air Passengers Duty. The proposal, released this weekend (1) and based on reports from the New Economics Foundation and CE Delft (2), suggests ... READ MORE
- June 10, 2015 Reports have emerged today that the Government will not take a decision about new runways until the end of the year (1). The report of the Airports Commission, which will recommend a new runway at either Heathrow or Gatwick, is expected to be published at the end of this month but it looks as if the Government will delay its ... READ MORE
- June 1, 2015
Campaigners from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports today delivered a joint letter to Patrick McLoughlin, the Secretary of State for Transport, demanding a voice for residents in flight path changes which are expected to be introduced over the next few years. Campaigners have asked for a meeting with the Transport Secretary.
Read the letter here: Gatwick Heathrow and City Airport Flight ... READ MORE
- May 16, 2015 The Airports Commission has released a short consultation on air pollution, with 29th May deadline. The consultation documents can be found on the Commission’s website: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/airports-commission-air-quality-assessment
This is a technical consultation assessing future air pollution levels around Heathrow and Gatwick if new runways are built.
It is unlikely that this consultation was prompted by the recent Supreme Court ruling that required the ... READ MORE
- May 10, 2015 Press Release
10/5/15 for immediate use
Protesters Stage Silent Air Pollution Demo in Terminal 5
Around 50 campaigners staged a silent protest against air pollution in Terminal 5 this afternoon. The protesters donned masks and t-shirts to make their point that the high air pollution levels in the Heathrow area should rule out a third runway at the airport (1). The protest ... READ MORE
- April 29, 2015 HACAN has joined other UK noise campaigners to call on the next Government to take six simple steps which would cut noise: International Noise Awareness Day demands
They have been launched on 29th April, when International Noise Awareness Day celebrates its 20th Anniversary. A major day of action is being staged in Berlin by German air, road and rail noise campaigners: ... READ MORE
- April 16, 2015 Heathrow Airport has set up the Community Noise Forum. It consists of representatives of the Airport, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), National Air Traffic Control (NATS), British Airways, local authorities, community organizations and campaign groups. It was set up following the complaints received during the recent trials carried out by Heathrow and NATS. In particular, it was hoped it could ... READ MORE
- April 10, 2015 Back Heathrow claim 80,000 supporters. Read this letter sent to HACAN and you’ll question their figures immediately:
I am sending you a mailout I received from the pro-Heathrow people, Back Heathrow, because I was so cross and felt misrepresented.
A few weeks ago they mailed everyone locally with a questionnaire, asking for our preferences with flight paths/times etc IF the expansion ... READ MORE
- April 4, 2015 The ancient village of Harmondsworth, which originated as a Saxon manor and is now facing demolition if a third Heathrow runway goes ahead, will be staging an Open Day on Sunday 12th April to give the media and members of the public a chance to see what would be destroyed (1).
The focus of the event is the re-opening of the celebrated 15th-century ... READ MORE
- April 3, 2015 So where do the parties stand?
Let’s start with the Greens because they are probably the simplest. They are opposed to any new runways and favour removal of the tax-breaks aviation enjoys in order to curb demand. They estimate it would bring in £16 billion a year to the Exchequer.
UKIP favours reopening Manston to turn its huge former RAF runway into an ... READ MORE
- March 18, 2015 Protests against a proposed new airport outside Mexico City have been met with police brutality: Atenco
- March 17, 2015 Heathrow Airport furious NATS didn’t tell them about critical flight path changes
Heathrow Airport has issued a strong statement this afternoon explaining that they had not been informed by NATS (National Air Traffic Control) about critical changes to flight paths that took place west of the airport in June 2014. Residents in the affected areas – Ascot, Binfield, Virginia Water and ... READ MORE
- March 8, 2015 On Saturday 7th March over 30 polar bears invaded Heathrow’s recently opened Terminal Two in a protest against the third runway.
The bears hung banners, played in the terminal and danced to sound systems. The action, which started on the dot of 11am, lasted about 30 minutes. No arrests were made as the protesters left of their own accord.
Check out video: https://vimeo.com/hyperoculus/timetoact …
The ... READ MORE
- February 21, 2015 Government figures released yesterday show that air pollution around Heathrow will still exceed the EU air pollution limits by 2030, even without the addition of a third runway. The figures, published by DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) following a Freedom of Information request by campaign group Clean Air in London, reveal pollution limits on the A4 road ... READ MORE
- February 16, 2015 A major rally against the 3rd Runway with top speakers will be held on March 3rd, 7pm, Church House Conference Centre, Westminster SW1P 3NZ. A chance, just 2 months before the General Election, to show the next Government how strong the opposition is to a 3rd runway.
Rally against the 3rd Runway update
- February 13, 2015 http://youtu.be/-VGFWA_R2Zo
- February 5, 2015
- February 5, 2015
- February 2, 2015 Campaign group HACAN has accused Heathrow Airport of abusing the Airport Commission’s current consultation, which closes on February 3rd, by “flooding the Commission with thousands of pro-forma responses.”
In a letter to Sir Howard Davies (see letter and full HACAN response below), the chair of the Commission, HACAN, has said that Heathrow has “strained every sinew of its advertising budget to ... READ MORE
- February 2, 2015 Heathrow insulation scheme: “more generous than we have seen before but a sign of how eager the airport is to get a third runway”.
Campaign group HACAN has welcomed today’s proposals by Heathrow Airport to provide residents with more noise insulation as “more generous than we have seen before but a sign of how eager the airport is to get a ... READ MORE
- February 1, 2015 The Prime Minister
10 Downing Street
3rd February 2015
Dear Prime Minister,
We call on you to remember the promise that you made before the last General Election: “No ifs; no buts; there will be no Third Runway” and to reject any plans that might come forward for a third runway at Heathrow.
Adam Afryie MP
Angie Bray MP
Zac Goldsmith MP
Kate Hoey MP
Caroline Lucas ... READ MORE
- February 1, 2015 Press Release
30/1/15 for immediate use
Campaigners link up with cross-party group of politicians to remind David Cameron to stick to his promise on 3rd runway
Downing Street event on February 3rd
At 2pm on February 3rd (1), to mark the end of the current consultation by the Airports Commission, a cross-party group of MPs, accompanied by campaigners from across London (2), will hand ... READ MORE
- January 27, 2015 Number of people disturbed by aircraft noise doubles in the last decade, according to Government survey
The number of people ‘significantly affected’ by aircraft noise has doubled in the last decade, according to the Government’s recently published National Noise Attitude Survey (1). Four per cent of the population – over 2 million people – now consider themselves badly affected by noise ... READ MORE
- January 26, 2015 Last week Runnymede Council dropped its support for Heathrow expansion. It became the first council to change from a position of supporting a new runway at Heathrow to backing a second runway at Gatwick. A packed public gallery burst into applause when the council’s Corporate Management Committee voted by six votes to three to change the policy. Many of the ... READ MORE
- January 26, 2015 London is outstripping all world cities as an aviation hub. It debunks the capacity crunch myth. Far from Britain declining as an aviation superpower, the capital’s global lead over every other city in the world is increasing.
Despite the “capacity crunch” at the capital’s airport, figures compiled by The Independent reveal that London remains the world’s top airline hub by a wide margin ... READ MORE
- January 13, 2015 Numbers that will worry any Government
Well over a million people in London and the South East oppose a third runway at Heathrow. And there is no sign of their opposition weakening. Indeed, the support for Heathrow expansion has remained static over the last seven years or so.
The figures have come to light following an analysis of recent polls by the ... READ MORE
- January 8, 2015 Post boxes have started to appear in the terminals Heathrow Airport urging customers to ‘help us expand Heathrow’. They coincide with the final public consultation being held by the Airports Commission which is looking at whether a third runway should be built at Heathrow or a second one at Gatwick. The Commission’s final report will be published after May’s General Election. ... READ MORE
- January 7, 2015 They will be of particular interest to people living under the existing northern flight path as you are in line for more flights. A chance to find out how the Heathrow Hub proposals would affect you. This is the plan that intends to extend the existing northern runway at the western end so that it can operate as two runways.
Heathrow ... READ MORE
- January 2, 2015 This short HACAN briefing outlines the case against a 3rd runway at Heathrow: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/The-Case-against-the-expansion-of-Heathrow-Airport-2.pdf
- December 18, 2014 The Airports Commission Consultation ends on February 3rd. It is a technical document more aimed at responses from organisations rather than individuals but, if you wish to respond, this two-pager may help you: Consultation_Special_by_HACAN_Jan_2015
- December 9, 2014 Judge for yourself whether these questions may lead you to give particular answers:
Heathrow has used results from telephone surveys it has commissioned from the polling firm, Populus, to claim around 50% support for a 3rd runway but questions have been persistently asked about the script Populus has used. And enterprising resident had the presence of mind to take detailed notes ... READ MORE
- November 30, 2014 The method’s of the controversial pro-expansion group Back Heathrow have been exposed in the Sunday Times (30/11/14)
“HEATHROW came under fire from senior politicians and environmentalists this weekend after bankrolling a community campaign group that claims to represent the “silent majority” who want a third runway at the airport.
Hundreds of thousands of homes in London have received a series of glossy ... READ MORE
- November 16, 2014 Your last chance to tell the Airports Commission what you think………..
The final consultation from the Airports Commission was launched on 11th November. We have produced a 4 page summary outlining the key points of the consultation. Airports Commission Consultation Briefing Explained
The Commission is asking for comments on whether it has assessed its three shortlisted schemes correctly.
It is not expecting many individuals ... READ MORE
- November 11, 2014 Press Release
11/11/14 for immediate use
Airports Commission: Third Runway will cost up to £4 billion more than Heathrow Airport estimates
The public consultation document issued by the Airports Commission this morning argues that a third runway at Heathrow will cost up to £4 billion more than the Airport has estimated. A second runway at Gatwick would also be more expensive that its ... READ MORE
- November 2, 2014 An enterprising HACAN supporter has started this petition against a 3rd runway at Heathrow.
Please sign it here.
It is backed 110% by HACAN.
- November 2, 2014 Cliff Dixon, UKIP’s candidate for Hayes & Harlington (the constituency which includes Heathrow Airport), confirmed UKIP are against a third runway at Heathrow in a newspaper article published last week http://wp.me/p4e6Tn-zo
And an Important story in today’s Observe (2nd November) outlines how many leading conservatives oppose expansion at Heathrow. These include the foreign secretary Philip Hammond, the home secretary Theresa May, the ... READ MORE
- October 14, 2014 Over a thousand people packed a public meeting in Ascot on 13th October to protest at the flight path trials which routed many more planes over their area. Heathrow Airport, NATS (air traffic control) and the Civil Aviation Authority explained that they were testing new procedures not necessarily new route. The trials would end by mid-November. The trials are part ... READ MORE
- October 8, 2014 Check out and sign our petition – FAIR Flight Paths for Heathrow: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/p/fairflightpaths
- October 6, 2014 Hounslow Council has launched this petition calling for no 3rd runway at Heathrow. You might like to sign it. You don’t need to be a Hounslow resident to do so. http://petitions.hounslow.gov.uk/Betternotbigger/
- October 5, 2014 The controversial trials of possible new flight paths are to end early – on 12th November instead of January – after a public outcry from areas which got many more aircraft. Also, another set of trials has been postponed until August 2015. Heathrow has said the trials are to test new procedures and any permanent changes in flight paths would ... READ MORE
- October 5, 2014 Heathrow Airport and its side-kick Back Heathrow are making big claims about the support their is for a 3rd runway. But their polls and surveys leave much to be desired.
This document is made available as a PDF file: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Lies-Dammed-Lies-and-Opinion-Polls.pdf
- September 21, 2014 Heathrow Airport has tweeted this morning that it is considering cutting short the controversial flight path trials which have aroused so much opposition. The trials were originally intended to go on into next year. They were designed to test new ways of flying planes out of the airport but have met with huge opposition. A petition in Ascot has gained ... READ MORE
- September 20, 2014 Our advice is to ignore the latest Back Heathrow survey which recently came through many people’s doors. I was going to do an analysis of it but it’s questions are so clearly loaded that its bias is obvious.
We suggest that people follow Zac Goldsmith’s advice and “placed I have it in the recycling bin” http://www.zacgoldsmith.com/the-back-heathrow-survey/
Read the HACAN briefing on why Heathrow ... READ MORE
- September 14, 2014 Campaign group HACAN has welcomed London Mayor Boris Johnson’s pledge that he will “continue to fight against a 3rd runway” if elected as the next MP for Uxbridge. He made it clear when he was selected to fight the seat for the Conservatives on Friday that there was no chance he would change his stance on a third runway.
HACAN chair John ... READ MORE
- September 8, 2014 Campaign group HACAN, which opposes expansion at Heathrow, has claimed that the Mori Poll released by Heathrow Airport today is what it seems. Heathrow claims the poll shows that 60% of MPs support at third runway but HACAN argues that claim is misleading as only 143 MPs out of 650 were asked. Of those that were polled, 84 backed 3rd runway.
Read ... READ MORE
- September 4, 2014 Today, HACAN proudly launches Third Runway News, a new publication providing residents of west London, east Berkshire and north Surrey with the facts about what an expanded Heathrow Airport would mean for them.
Read the illustrated 4 page newspaper: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ThirdRunwayNews-digitalversion.pdf
HACAN is a residents-led campaign and indeed this very newspaper was designed by one of our local members, not a hugely expensive ... READ MORE
- September 1, 2014 1st September 2014
With the news that an official statement will be made tomorrow (2nd September) that the Airports Commission has ruled out an Estuary Airport, HACAN, which opposes a third runway at Heathrow, made the following statement:
HACAN chair John Stewart said: “I don’t expect that this will mean that Boris Johnson or his supporters will give up on the idea ... READ MORE
- August 19, 2014 Read the details of the report: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-tops-forbes-list-of-the-worlds-most-influential-cities-in-2014-9676264.html
Read why a 3rd runway is not essential for London’s economy: http://hacan.org.uk/blog/?p=321
- August 13, 2014 HACAN has called on HeathrowAirport to come clean about its surveys carried out by its favourite pollster Populus following the revelations this week about the methods Populus used in a recent survey on fracking. The fracking poll published on Monday, carried out for UK Onshore Oil and Gas (UKOOG), was described by a polling expert as ‘one of the most ... READ MORE
- August 4, 2014 If a third runway is built some areas will experience 13 hours of non-stop flying – a plane every 90 seconds. These will include places under the new flight path like Harlington and Brentford. It would also apply to places such as Richmond under the approach to the southern runway.
Read the HACAN Press Release http://hacan.org.uk/third-runway-would-halve-respite-period-for-tens-of-thousands-in-west-london/
Read the HACAN Briefing http://hacan.org.uk/third-runways-flight-paths/
Read the ... READ MORE
- July 28, 2014 28/7/14
Furious residents have complained to campaign group HACAN about Heathrow Airport’s most recent consultation. Last week Heathrow released a three month consultation seeking people’s views on who should qualify for compensation if a third runway goes ahead. But residents have told HACAN that they feel they are being steamrollered into accepting the fact that a third runway is inevitable at ... READ MORE
- June 29, 2014 Heathrow’s claims that a third runway will improve the overall noise climate for residents do not stack up, according to campaign group HACAN. It has compared Heathrow’s arguments with the findings of two recently-published reports and concludes that “Heathrow’s claims are unravelling in the face of the independent evidence.”
You can read more about this in either a) our press release or b) our ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014
Over 800 packed into Richmond Theatre on a balmy summer’s evening on 18th June to watch the anti-3rd runway video competition. Celebrity judges Hugh Grant, Holly Willoughby and Rachel Johnson joined compere Gyles Brandreth to pick the winner from the 15 shortlisted entries (out of nearly 60 submissions).
The No Ifs No Buts competition was staged by HACAN and Zac Goldsmith.
Watch ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014
New figures published by the London Mayor ‘blow out of the water’ Heathrow Airport’s oft-repeated claim that overall noise levels will fall if a third runway is built. They show that Heathrow’s claims assume the new runway will be only operating at one-third capacity. They also argue that Heathrow is also over-optimistic about the introduction of quieter aircraft.
Read the HACAN ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 See HACAN HYPERLINK “http://www.hacan.org.uk/blog/” blog for an assessment
Read our summary of the proposals with HACAN’s initial comments.
Read the HACAN Press Release.
- June 26, 2014 Heathrow Airport’s outgoing chief executive Colin Matthews has admitted that the M4 would need to be diesel-free if a 3rd runway was ever built at the airport. Matthews told the aviation specialists Flightglobal that “to fix air quality at Heathrow ”. It is the first time that ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 What respectable residents get up in Frankfurt every Monday evening in the airport terminal. For their 94th protest in the terminal they destroyed a mock up of the hated 4th runway. Spectacular and entertaining video here and here. The 4th runway was opened in 2011. The new flight paths put in place to service it have generated weekly protests ever ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 A new report from mvaconsultancy shows that people are affected by much lower levels of aircraft noise than the Government has admitted. It challenges the whole basis of aircraft noise policy.
- June 26, 2014 HACAN has dismissed the six week consultation Heathrow Airport is embarking on on 3rd February as ‘a PR exercise’. The consultation is not about whether or not people want a 3rd runway but on how they think Heathrow’s plans for one can be improved!
See details in the HACAN press release.
- June 26, 2014 A coalition has been formed to oppose any plans for a third runway at Heathrow.
The Airports Commission, set up by the Government, is looking at two options for a 3rd runway at Heathrow, in addition to the option of a 2nd runway at Gatwick.
Still on the table is the option of an Isle of Grain airport on the Kent Coast. ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 The Government announced today (11/11/13) that it is proposing no significant changes to the night flight regime at Heathrow until 2017.
Originally, it planned changes next year but it argues it would be sensible to wait until after the Airports Commission, which is looking possible expansion on London and the South East, reports in Summer 2015.
Read the HACAN reaction.
Read the details ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 A new study, to be published today (9/10/13), has found that deaths from stroke, heart and circulatory disease are 20% higher in areas with high levels of aircraft noise than in places with the least noise.
Researchers at Imperial College London and King’s College London compared data on day- and night-time aircraft noise with hospital admissions and mortality rates among a ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 The new Heathrow Airport-inspired ‘Back Heathrow’ campaign has send a newspaper to half a million homes.
Read HACAN’s rebuttal.
- June 26, 2014 HACAN calls it “the actions of a desperate organisation.”
Read our press release.
- June 26, 2014 HACAN has published a selection of the emails it received during Summer 2013.
It showed that, by some distance the largest number of complaints came from South East London. Read the report.
- June 26, 2014 Over 250 people from six countries across Europe attended the European Aviation Campaigner’s Conference in Attaching near Munich earlier this year.
The campaigners pledged to work to together on Europe-wide campaigns to end night flights and the tax-breaks – such as tax-free fuel – which the aviation industry enjoys. You can read their full manifesto.
The growing European campaigners movement has taken ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 HACAN has submitted this response to the Commission.
- June 26, 2014 The night time respite trial where HACAN worked with Heathrow Airport, NATS and British Airways produced mixed results.
But it did bring benefits to over 100,000 people and it did help put the need for respite firmly on the Government’s agenda.
Read more about the trial in PDF format.
- June 26, 2014 In mid-August the Airports Commission published the submissions it received for new runways and new airports.
It also published submissions on ways to improve the capacity of Heathrow in the short and medium term. It is inviting comments on them by 27th September.
You can read the submissions on its website.
A 2 page aide for people who might want to respond produced ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 The Airports Commission is asking for views on aircraft noise.
Here is an easy-to-read guide which HACAN has produced in PDF format.
- June 26, 2014 A short report released today by campaign group HACAN claims that a third runway at Heathrow would kill off an historic opportunity to improve the noise climate for residents.
Read the report Heathrow in a Noisy League of it’s Own.
Read the HACAN press release.
- June 26, 2014 The London Evening Standard has revealed (6/6/13) that Heathrow Airport is now looking for a third runway south east of the airport, in the Stanwell Moor area.
Read the HACAN press release.
- June 26, 2014 72% people in Richmond, Hillingdon and Hounslow have voted against expansion at Heathrow in polls conducted by the three London boroughs.
Over the last few weeks people have voted in official referenda carried out by Hillingdon and Richmond and, in Hounslow, completed a questionnaire sent out to every household in the borough. Hounslow also asked about attitudes to night flights. 83% ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 The Airports Commission, set up last year, to examine whether more airport capacity is needed and, if so, where will come up with a short-list of possible sites in its Interim Report at the end of the year.
It will examine these sites in more detail before producing its final report in Summer 2015, two months after the next General Election.
Details ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014
2M, which represents local authorities across London and the Home Counties, has produced maps of what the flight paths of a 4 runway Heathrow – if it was ever built – would look like.
Click here for more maps
The Evening Standard broke the story.
- June 26, 2014 In a hugely significant development Heathrow Airport (BAA as was) has said it will not be pressing for mixed-mode (planes landing on both runways throughout the day).
A Heathrow source told The Times (4/2/13):” It would be a lot of pain for not much gain,” said a Heathrow source. Heathrow confirmed its position when appearing before the Transport Committee of the ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 Transport Secretary Justine Greening dismissed the lobbying efforts of the aviation industry as “a pub-style debate”
To disentangle the myths from the facts in the Heathrow debate, read our latest 4-pager in PDF format: Heathrow Expansion Myths and Facts
- June 26, 2014 Speaking at the debate organized by the Evening Standard (27th June) BAA chief Willie Walsh said that, much as he would like to have seen a 3rd runway at Heathrow, he no accepts the reality that it will not happen and is planning his business accordingly.
He also said that mixed-mode at Heathrow would makes worse at the airport and opposes it.
The Evening Standard, still ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 There has been a high-profile campaign recently by the aviation industry arguing the UK economic will suffer if airport expansion does not take place, particularly at Heathrow.
It has been heavily featured in the Evening Standard since Sarah Sands became editor. HACAN does not believe the case stands up. This two page PDF document summarises why.
- June 26, 2014 In a Lord’s debate (28/5/12) the Government announced it would consider the economic loss due to sleep loss when it reviews night flights later this year.
This will be the first time this has been done. The issue was first raised in a CE Delft Report published by HACAN. Welcome move.
More details of the announcement. Read the HACAN report.
- June 26, 2014 HACAN is calling on the Government to include plans to change the way it measures aircraft noise in its draft aviation policy, expected to go out to public consultation before the end of March.
The current method the Government uses varies from the one recommended by the European Union. It also contradicts the guidelines for noise annoyance recommended by the World ... READ MORE
- June 26, 2014 A major new report published yesterday (19/12/11) by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) reveals that 28% of the people in Europe affected by aircraft noise live under the Heathrow flight paths.
A total of over 700,000 people are affected by Heathrow aircraft. The report calls for measures, such as steeper descents by aircraft, to mitigate the impact of noise on residents. ... READ MORE
- March 2, 2014 HACAN has published an easy-to-read guide outlining the social, environmental, economic and political objections to a 3rd runway.
- March 2, 2014 A new report from MVA Consultancy shows that people are affected by much lower levels of aircraft noise than the Government has admitted. It challenges the whole basis of aircraft noise policy.
Read the report
- March 2, 2014 It’s a busy time. We are compiling some highlights of recent and forthcoming campaigning by HACAN and others on the major airport issues. Read the first update here